Hi everyone !
Another sharing moment.
My friend Bill and I were talking about a common theme in both our lives. We agreed we both are caregivers and have been for years. We both are at an age where we are reassessing all of it.
If you've lived long enough, you've asked yourself. Why me? How come i'm always the guy (girl) that this task falls upon? Is it worth it? Am i just spinning my wheels, enabling other people? I've had it. I'm tired of it. Let someone else do it.
Whew!! Sounds pretty glum and exhausting huh? Well, like i say, if you don't get this, you haven't lived much of life.
Okay, now for the good news. I've been through my moments of bitterness, frustration, and even anger over my "caregiver" status. Through it all, though, i've discovered a few marvelous things.
"Caregiver" or "enabler"? It's kinda like the difference between Mother Teresa and Dr. Kevorkian. Choose Life.
Yes, a stark contrast. But it gets our attention. The first represents true compassion. I believe the other grows out of pity.
Pity invites all of us to its party and leads to despair. Accept the invitation, you're hooked. True compassion, on the other hand, refuses to join the party. It offers you a ride home.
Christ says let your yes be yes and your no be no. Say yes to compassion and a resounding NO to pity. Free will is a wonderful gift. Choose wisely.
God is Good !
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I hope Dr Kevorkian is never my caregiver
ReplyDeleteI love the distinction between pity and compassion--that's perfect!
ReplyDelete